Each night I ask my kids what their favorite thing is that they did that day and they each get a little moment to tell about their favorite thing of the day. Well during General Conference President Monson talked about the legacy a father left behind by asking his children each day at the dinner table what they had done good for someone that day. The children of this man were determined each day to do something good for someone else so they could report to their father each night, as they grew older their motivation for providing service changed to an internal desire to help and serve others. One of his children said this was the most valuable legacy his father left behind.
I decided I would add to to our nightly tradition and not only ask the kids about their favorite thing they did that day but also if they had done anything nice for someone else, and we would call it a warm fuzzie because after they do it they will feel good inside like they are warm and fuzzie (I know silly name but they love it). They agreed and so that night I just asked them if they had done any thing already that they wanted to share. Kyle said yeah I have, He told us about a girl named Kelly in his class, he told us that she was a little slower at things and that some things were hard for her to do, he said at the end of each day they put their chairs on their desks and he said it is really hard for Kelly to lift her chair up high and put it on her desk and he saw that she was trying to do it and her arms were shaking and so he went over and helped her get her chair up on her desk. I loved that he took the time to care for someone else. He's a good kid:)
So go out there and do a warm fuzzie today!!! You'll feel so good inside:)
3 comments:
That Kyle is a sweetheart! Give him an extra luv from his Aunt Pammy and tell him we love him bunches :)
PS - I really like that tradition...I'll have to do that with Zac someday :)
Oh my gosh...I got all teary eyed reading that! What a sweet boy! He has a heart of gold! That probably meant the world to that little girl...even though it was such a small act of kindness! Thanks for sharing! I love that idea of asking them that every night! When my girls get older I might steal that idea from you!
I LOVE this tradition! We will definitely have to start it with our kids when we have them. Thank you Pres. Monson and Deb ;)
Post a Comment