Friday, February 19, 2010

So Cool!!--Diabetes

Ok so here is my So Cool post for the week... Diabetes is the topic, and it is not So Cool.

I watched a special on Oprah about it and Dr. Oz was there too and they were talking about Diabetes and it really got me thinking about it. You would not believe the pounds and pounds of sugar one person eats each year in America. They brought in a huge load of sugar to show what the average Amercian eats each year and it really was crazy, we are talking about pounds and pounds I was amazed. They just talked about Diabetes and the disease and how we would avoid something so deadly if we knew how it would really affect our life, and that most of us can if we just learn to have a healthy lifestyle, its all about our choices. (I am guilty I can be so much better) I don't want diabetes it is something hard to live with and those of you that have it know. If you already have it then you can manage it and keep it in check if you are aware. If you don't have it yet some can't avoid it but for most it it can be avoided it is something we bring on ourselves. My Grandma had diabetes and eventually died because of it way younger than she should have.

The remedy: Diet and Exercise Thats how you avoid and control it. (I am sure there are other things too but that was the main jist of it) So make a few healthier choices at the grocery store. One quick tip chose whole grain and whole wheat/no white when buying bread, rice, tortillas, pasta, etc. White acts as plain sugar in your body so just going whole grain will help out a lot at your house.
Go for a walk or make time for a little exercise they said 30 minutes of exercise each day and you will cut your chances of getting it significantly.
Here is the link about it if you want to read more... http://www.oprah.com/oprahshow/Diabetes-101-with-Dr-Oz-Dr-Ian-Smith-and-Bob-Greene

2 comments:

Letti said...

Thank you for posting this. It is perfect timing for me. My grandpa has been sick for the past week and on Sunday I went to see how he was doing and he didn't look well. I knew something wasn't right. I got the feeling that I needed to check his blood sugar. I am not sure why I got this feeling since I do not know anything about it. I don't know whats too high or too low. I had him check it and it was 555 which was very high I found out. He rushed him too the er and the dr said that he was very close to having his organs start shutting down. I am so thankful that I was inspired to follow on a hunch.

I know that you were inspired to post about this. My Grandpa was admitted to the ICU and he is still in the hospital. But he is getting better.

McCall said...

Good post, I have a brother AND a sister with diabetes and we have all agreed that we should all live like we have it too and be conscious about what we eat and how active we are!