My parents are on a mission right now in Wyoming at the Willie Center (pioneer handcart memorial, where the youth go to do trek).
I think Kyle is missing them and one day he came up to me and said he wanted to tell Grandma and Grandpa about loosing his first tooth. I told him to draw them a picture of it and then we could send it so he did and then he came over and sat by me and said "Mom I want to stand on Sacred Ground." He said " I want to go see Grandma and Grandpa on their mission so I can stand on sacred ground. Wow that is a lot for a 6 year old, I know he had heard us talk about how where they are on their mission is sacred ground, and we have told hime the story of the young men and the Sweet Water River, and we told him about Katie's baptism. When you are missionaries there you can get permission to baptize your grandchildren in the Sweet Water River, and my brother's little girl Katie was able to do that, we told Kyle about that and how special that was. Also I gave sharing time a few weeks ago and part of it was about reverence and I told the story of Moses and the burning bush and how the Lord asked Moses to take his shoes off to show reverence. Any way I guess from all these little experiences he gathered that Grandma and Grandpa Freeman were standing on sacred ground and he would like to go there and be a part of that and experience what they are experiencing. My heart broke I wanted to take him so bad, Joe and I are going with the youth in our ward but no children are invited, I so wanted to take the kids back but it just didn't seem feasable with us already going once, but after his sweet sincere comments I just had to get him there. My sister is going through to go see my parents and I am watching her 2 youngest for her and the thought dawned on me send him with her. So I have never sent my boy off for the night and I don't think I will do it very often but I feel this is very important so I asked my sister and she said she would love to take him so he gets to go stand on sacred ground:). He asked me "Mom how will I know when I am standing on sacred ground?" I told him Grandma and Grandpa would tell him. And then he asked "do I need to take off my shoes?" Oh man the tears almost started to run out. How could he get all that and tie all those things together at such a young age? Anyway it was a very sweet experience, and he will soon get to stand on sacred ground.
3 comments:
What a sweet story. Kids amaze me that even though they are completely full of energy and love to get into things and explore, that they have such a soft spot for learning about spiritual things. Kyle's got a wonderful Mom to be teaching him about all these things too!
Wow, that is amazing Deb....What a sweet, sweet story!
What an amazing little boy you have. He seems so mature for his age--wanting to know if he needs to take off his shoes. So cute. You and Joe have done such a wonderful job raising those kids!
Post a Comment